Thursday 26 September 2013

Homemade Chinese Style Pork Soup with Turnip & Carrots

Since I've moved back home now that I've graduated from university, it allows me to make use of my parents kitchen! The additional benefit in moving home is that I can indulge in larger cooking projects since I'm not going to be the only one enjoying it.

A common tradition for Asian households is soup, also known as "tong" in Cantonese. I'm not sure if this is a specific tradition in all Asian backgrounds, but it is extremely common in Chinese households. It's believed that different soups have different health benefits. Today, I made a simple pork soup boiled with turnips and carrots. This particular soup is supposed to nourish blood, strengthen the body, improve the spleen, benefit the stomach, stimulate fluids, and decrease dryness. It also helps with symptoms of a low fever, dizziness, sore throat, and fatigue.

First place raw pork bones in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Subsequently remove and rinse bones. I usually do this in a separate pot so the actual soup pot can start to boil on its own. Place pork bones into soup pot. The soup pot should have approximately 10 cups of water.


Then skin and cut the carrots and turnips roughly into 1 inch pieces. Don't forget to wash prior to cutting.


Add a few (I used 3) dried red dates to the soup pot.


Add the chopped vegetables. 


Bring the soup to a boil and then lower it to low heat. Allow to simmer for 2-3 hours.


Add salt for taste & ready for serving!


No comments:

Post a Comment